Spiced Fig Cake Recipe
This warm and delicious fig cake is a simple recipe perfect for dessert with coffee.
Shreveport Farmers Market manager Noma Fowler-Sandlin tells us that she loves figs and fig preserves—plus they are easy to find at the farmers markets. What to do with your figs? Try Noma's spiced fig cake.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (dissolved in the buttermilk)
- 1 8-ox. jar of your favorite fig preserves
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Method of Preperation:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Add the eggs, milk containing soda, and fig preserves.
- Mix the dry ingredients and slowly stir into the wet ones, mix well.
- Pour into a rectangular greased and flour-dusted cake pan or two smaller roud or square ones.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until brown. This cake requires no icing, but can be dusted with powdered sugar and freshly roasted walnuts for serving.