Creole King Cake Ice Cream Recipe
Just in time for Mardi Gras, try this recipe for King Cake Ice Cream.
This simple ice cream recipe makes for some big Mardi Gras flavors!
Take the best of two desserts—sweet, tradition-rich king cake and smooth, cool ice cream—and discover the flavors of Louisiana. Whether it's Mardi Gras or a hot summer day, this recipe is perfect year-round. Happy Mardi Gras y'all!
Ingredients for Creole King Cake Ice Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cup half & half*
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon**
- 1 large slice of king cake (make your own with this king cake recipe or use store bought)
Method of Preparation:
- In a bowl, stir together ¼ cup of milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside.
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the half & half (or cream), sugar, sweetened condensed milk and salt; bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry and cinnamon. Return to a boil and cook, stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in ¼ cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in remaining milk mixture until smooth.
- Pour mixture into plastic bag; seal and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled, or if you have extra time pour into container and chill in refrigerator.
- Once milk mixture is cooled, pour into ice cream maker; and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- While the mixture has started to churn, cut king cake into small bite size pieces including the icing.
- Half-way through the churning process add the bite size king cake pieces to the mixture.
- Once the mixture is fully churned and mostly frozen; transfer to storage container and freeze until completely set.
* For an extra rich mixture, use heavy cream instead
** This depends on the potency of your cinnamon, if you feel like you have a stronger cinnamon, use 1 tsp. If you have a more mellow cinnamon use 2 tsp.
Discover even more Louisiana recipes that will make your tastebuds sing!