Rum Soaked Pound Cake
This sweet and slightly boozy recipe is a delicious addition to any meal but it especially shines during the holidays. Ensure you get the best flavor by using a Louisiana-distilled Rum. Check out the different Louisiana distillers and find the perfect rum for your pound cake.
Ingredients for Pound Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 3 cups Rum Syrup, divided (recipe follows)
Method of Preparation
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10-cup Bundt pan with baking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a separate medium bowl, beat yolks and ¾ cup sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until mixture is thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add extracts. Add flour mixture to yolk mixture in three batches, and beat just until combined. Add butter and half-and-half, and beat to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment at medium-high speed until frothy. Increase mixer speed to high, and gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, until all is combined. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form, about 4 minutes.
- Add one-third of egg whites to yolk mixture, combining gently. Add remaining egg whites, folding gently to combine. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Do not remove from pan. Using a skewer, pierce cake 12 to 15 times. Pour 2 cups Rum Syrup onto cake. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook remaining 1 cup Rum Syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Invert cake onto serving platter. Drizzle with desired amount of thickened Rum syrup, reserving remainder for another use, if desired. Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Makes 12 servings
Rum Syrup Ingredients
- 3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rum
Method of Preparation
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, 2 cups water, vanilla, and salt to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat; add rum, whisking to combine. Cool completely. Makes 12 servings