Southern Fried Okra Recipe
Fried okra? Yes, please!
Enjoy this extremely tasty recipe for fried okra the Redfish Grill in New Orleans. Combined with the zippy remoulade, this will be a favorite recipe! Recipe provided by Louisiana Kitchen and Culture Magazine.
Ingredients for Okra
- 1 pound fresh okra (preferably Louisiana green velvet okra)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cups finely ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper vegetable oil salt and pepper
Method of Preparation for Okra
Cut off woody part of the stem of okra and soak in buttermilk. Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in cast-iron pot to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Dredge okra in flour mix.
Fry okra in oil while carefully rotating for 4 to 5 minutes until batter begins to brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serves 4 to 6.
Remoulade Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 each cornichons chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 2 green onions chopped fine
Mix all ingredients in bowl and serve.