Southern Fried Okra Recipe
Fried okra? Yes, please!
Southern Fried Okra recipe
Enjoy this extremely tasty recipe for fried okra the Redfish Grill in New Orleans. Combined with the zippy remoulade, this will be a favorite recipe! Recipe provided by Louisiana Kitchen and Culture Magazine.
Ingredients for Okra
- 1 pound fresh okra (preferably Louisiana green velvet okra)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cups finely ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper vegetable oil salt and pepper
Method of Preparation for Okra
Cut off woody part of the stem of okra and soak in buttermilk. Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in cast-iron pot to 375 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl. Dredge okra in flour mix.
Fry okra in oil while carefully rotating for 4 to 5 minutes until batter begins to brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serves 4 to 6.
Remoulade Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 each cornichons chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
- 2 green onions chopped fine
Mix all ingredients in bowl and serve.