Fried Catfish with Cracked Rice Crust Recipe
Summer in Louisiana is not complete without a fish fry!
Louisianians love a good fish fry! This recipe includes a superior batter made with ground rice to make an extra crispy batter while keeping the fish moist and tender. This recipe is provided by Louisiana Cookin’ Magazine.
Ingredients for Fried Catfish:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup cracked brown jasmine rice (see note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 6 (6- to 8-ounce) catfish fillets
Method of Preparation:
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360°.
- In a blender, pulse rice until finely ground. In a shallow dish, combine rice, flour, salt, onion powder, and cayenne. In another shallow dish, place buttermilk. Dip fish in buttermilk, letting excess drip off . Dredge each fillet in rice mixture, pressing mixture to fish, and shaking off excess.
- Carefully place fish into hot oil in batches. Cook about 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Serves 6.
We used Cajun Grain Cracked Brown Jasmine Rice.
When buying seafood, make sure to check labels to ensure that you're buying domestic. U.S. seafood tastes better and it's regulated by the FDA, so it's always safe.
Looking for more recipes? Visit our recipe gallery and visit Louisiana Cookin’ for even more recipes and food tips.