Fifty Ideas for Summer Fun
There's no shortage of ways to spend your summer vacation in Louisiana. Here are just a few ideas.
Take a swamp boat tour to discover Louisiana's bayous.
Peach festival in Ruston
Cool down with a snoball
Hit the trails for a bike ride
It's the ultimate list of things to do this summer in Louisiana!
How many can you check off the list?
- Eat a snoball.
- Go crabbing in Cameron Parish.
- Float down the Amite River with Tiki Tubing in Denham Springs (open seasonally - call or visit the website.)
- Explore Hollywood South with the New Orleans Movie Tour.
- Enjoy a 5-cent Coke at The Biedenharn Museum & Gardens in Monroe.
- Play a round of golf on our Audubon Golf Trail.
- Slip, slide and squeal at Blue Bayou Water Park in Baton Rouge.
- Sip a mint julep at Oak Alley Plantation in Vacherie.
- Pick blueberries at one of Louisiana's pick-your-own farms.
- Cool down with an ice cold beer from one of Louisiana's breweries.
- Go deep sea fishing at Grand Isle.
- Take the kids to Sci-Port: Louisiana's Science Center in Shreveport.
- Try the peach ice cream at the Louisiana Peach Festival in Ruston.
- Visit a farmers market and eat a Creole tomato. The Creole Tomato Festival is each June at the French Market in NOLA.
- Pay tribute to the legacy of Louis Armstrong during the Satchmo SummerFest in New Orleans.
- Camp out or rent cabins at one of Louisiana's State Parks.
- Stay at the Dansereau House, in Thibodaux, and rock on their veranda.
- Road trip along the African American Heritage Trail to further explore the detailed stories and history of African Americans in Louisiana.
- Bike along a Louisiana trail.
- Chow down at the Delcambre Shrimp Festival.
- Make it a beach day at Louisiana's sun-soaked beaches.
- Take in the cocktails, cuisine and culture of the Tales of the Cocktail festival in New Orleans.
- Take a tour of the magnificent Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge.
- Indulge with a gourmet ice pop at Shreveport's Geauxsicles.
- Hang out with the animals at the Global Wildlife Center in Folsom.
- Find out just how much watermelon you can eat at the Beauregard Watermelon Festival.
- Paddle down a bayou.
- Visit the mounds and go for a hike at Poverty Point World Heritage Site.
- Hear the music of New Orleans' Frenchmen Street.
- Satisfy all your foodie cravings along the different Louisiana Culinary Trails.
- Find shells along the Creole Nature Trail.
- Cool off while exploring the exhibits of the Capitol Park Museum in Baton Rouge.
- Have Sunday brunch at Houmas House in Darrow.
- Watch July Fourth fireworks.
- Check into L'Auberge Casino Resort, Lake Charles, and head for the lazy river.
- Order a slice of pie from Lea's Lunchroom in Lecompte.
- Make plans for the Mystery Tour at St. Francisville's Myrtles Plantation, one of the country's most haunted homes.
- Save money and savor meals during New Orleans' Restaurant Month.
- Explore Acadian, Creole and Native American Cultures at Vermilionville Living History Museum in Lafayette.
- Soar above the wetlands on a seaplane tour.
- Hire a Louisiana charter boat captain for an inshore or offshore fishing adventure.
- Celebrate Louisiana's folk music at the Natchitoches-NSU Folk Festival.
- Honor the past, watch the 4-D Beyond All Boundaries and eat at the Soda Shop at The National WWII Museum in New Orleans.
- Bird watch in Houma's rich habitat.
- Sit in on a Cajun jam session at Savoy Music Center in Eunice.
- See a show at the historic Strand Theatre in Shreveport.
- Walk, cycle or gallop along Tammany Trace in St. Tammany Parish.
- Hike in Kisatchie National Forest.
- Step back in time at the West Baton Rouge Museum.
- Chill out at the Audubon Cool Zoo in New Orleans.