Trout with Pecan Butter Recipe
This recipe for pan-fried trout with pecan butter and Meuniere sauce is a beautiful and tasty way to highlight summer's catch! This recipe is provided by Louisiana Kitchen and Culture Magazine.
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Seasoning Mix (create your own with ingredients below or substitute with similar flavors)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 (4-ounce) Louisiana speckled trout, redfish, or other firm-fleshed fish fillets
- vegetable oil, for pan frying
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans, dry roasted
- Pecan Butter Sauce (recipe follows)
- Meunière Sauce (recipe follows)
Method of Preparation:
- Make the Pecan Butter Sauce and Meunière sauce and set aside.
- Combine the milk and egg in a pan (loaf, cake, and pie pans work well) until well blended. In a small bowl thoroughly combine the seasonings. In a separate pan add 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix to the flour; mix well. Sprinkle some of the remaining seasoning mix lightly and evenly on both sides of the fish, patting it in by hand (use any remaining seasoning mix in another recipe).
- Warm the serving plates in a 250ºF oven.
- Heat about ¼ inch oil in a very large heavy skillet to about 350ºF. Meanwhile, dredge each fillet in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess, and soak in the egg mixture, then, just be-fore frying, drain off egg mixture and dredge fillets once more in the seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
- Fry the fillets in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side (adjust heat as necessary to maintain the oil’s temperature). Drain on paper towels and, while still on the towels and very hot, spread a scant 2 tablespoons of the Pecan Butter over the top of each fillet. Serve immediately.
- To serve, spoon a scant ½ cup Meunière Sauce onto each heated serving plate and place a fillet on top. Sprinkle each fillet with about 1 tablespoon pecans.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup Basic Seafood Stock
- ¾ pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, in all
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Method of Preparation:
- In a 2-quart saucepan combine the stock and garlic. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a 1-quart saucepan melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over hight heat. Add the flour and whisk with a metal whisk until smooth, about 10 seconds. Remove from heat. Return stock mixture to a medium heat. Gradually add the butter mixture to the stock mixture, whisking constantly until smooth. Reduce heat to very low. Add the remaining 2 ½ sticks of butter, about a third at a time, whisking constantly each time until butter is melted. Gradually add the Worcestershire, whisking constantly and add the salt. Continue cooking until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes, whisking often. The sauce may be kept warm (or reheated) by setting the pan over an-other pan of hot (but not boiling) water.
Makes about 2 cups.
Pecan Butter Sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans, dry roasted
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until creamy and smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes, pushing down sides a few times with a rubber spatula.
Makes about ⅔ cup.