Ponchatoula Strawberry Pie Recipe
This delicious pie shows off succulent Louisiana strawberries.
The sweet perfection of Louisiana strawberries, grown fresh in Ponchatoula, come to life in this pie recipe.
Ponchatoula is known for its delicious strawberries, and the annual Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival is one of our must-experience spring events. Enjoy the flavors of the festival with this Ponchatoula Stawberry Pie recipe. It is perfect for serving at spring gatherings!
Ingredients for Strawberry Pie
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 quart fresh Ponchatoula strawberries
- 1 cup white sugar + 1/2 tablespoon reserved for whipped cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method of preparation
- Arrange half of strawberries in baked pie shell.
- Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thick, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture over berries in the pie shell.
- Chill for at least 2 hours. Take whipping cream and beat in a small bowl with 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and vanilla until peaks form. Spread over top of chilled pie. Cut and serve!