Crawfish Creola Recipe from Creola Café
Crawfish is highlighted in this simple but extremely flavorful recipe.
May 2014 Recipe of the Month, courtesy of Louisiana Kitchen & Culture Magazine.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped bell peppers (a mixture of red, green, and yellow)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound Louisiana crawfish tails with fat
- 1 cup water
- garlic salt, Tony’s Seasoning, and pepper chopped
- green onion and parsley for garnish
- 6 pre-prepared puff pastry shells (such as Pepperidge Farm), heated according to package directions, or rice for serving
Method of Preparation:
Melt butter in a heavy pot or Dutch oven, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a light brown roux is achieved, about 10 minutes.
Add tomato paste, onion, celery, peppers, and garlic; stir thoroughly and cook until onions are translucent and other vegetables are softened, about eight minutes.
Add crawfish tails, water, garlic powder, Tony’s seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low; cover, and cook until flavors have married and sauce is slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Serve in puff pastry shells or with rice. Garnish with chopped green onion and parsley. Serves 6.
Explore more recipes like this in the Culinary Trails around Louisiana or sign up to receive the eNewsletter packed with information, recipes and tips for your next trip to Louisiana. Visit Louisiana Kitchen & Culture Magazine.