Coffee and Chicory Crème Brûlée
This silky smooth Crème Brûlée recipe is a decadent affair full of Louisiana flavors.
This recipe for Crème Brûlée takes this dessert to the next level with the bold flavors of chicory and coffee. It will be your new favorite dessert.
Ingredients for Coffee and Chicory Crème Brûlée
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup very strong brewed coffee with chicory
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- In a large bowl, combine yolks and ¼ cup sugar; beat with a whisk until thickened. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, coffee, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and zest; heat over medium-high until almost boiling. Remove from heat. While still hot, add 1/4 cup cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture, and whisk to temper. Add remaining cream mixture to egg yolk mixture, and whisk. Strain into a large measuring cup or bowl with a spout.
- Carefully pour the hot mixture into 6 (5-inch) shallow ramekins. Arrange ramekins in a large roasting pan. Fill with boiling water halfway up the sides of ramekins.Cook until just set, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and water bath, and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight.
- Sprinkle the top of each custard with about 2 tablespoons sugar. Caramelize the tops with a kitchen torch. Alternatively, place chilled custards under a broiler until the sugar darkens. (Be careful, because the sugar continues cooking even after being removed from the flame.)
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and imagery courtesy of Louisiana Cookin'.