Are you ready for a nonstop, finger-lickin’, foot-tappin’ good time? Then head to the State Fair of Louisiana in Shreveport where you can dance to zydeco, eat shrimp on a stick and ride dozens of carnival rides. From Oct. 22 to Nov. 8, 2020, the fairgrounds in Shreveport turn into a veritable circus of excitement for the entire family. We can’t begin to list everything you can do at the fair, so we boiled it — just like we do our seafood -- down for you.
Top 10 Things to Do at the State Fair of Louisiana
10. Hydro Flying Circus. Thrill to the alluring and electrifying demonstration of water-born flight!
9. Racing Pigs. Cheer for your favorite friend and hope they are the swiftest swine during the Hollywood Racing Pigs.
8. A Spirited Competition. The State Fair of Louisiana State Cheerleading Championship held during the fair each year is a dazzling experience for the family.
7. Rowdy Rodeo. The LRCA Finals Rodeo (Oct. 30- Nov. 1, 2020) features real cowboys from throughout the state, with more than $140,000 in cash and prizes up for grabs. Check out feats of skill and strength, where men and women showcase lassoing skills and daredevil bull and bronco rides.
6. Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show. Check out a live lumberjack show that is sure to leave you amazed.
5. A Ride of a Lifetime. It's as if the Discovery Channel comes to life at the Double Hump Camel Show, featuring Mongolian Bactrian camels — and yes, you can ride them.
4. Live Music from 30+ Bands. Every year features a diverse roster of local and national touring acts. Country, R&B, gospel, rock — there’s so much to hear, nearly every night of the fair.
3. Carnival Rides! These rides make our stomach flip and make us squeal like the Vertigo and Drop Zone do. But it's always nice to catch our breath on the Ferris wheel.
2. Family Feud. Agricultural education becomes fun for the whole family with this unique game show-style learning experience.
1. Fair Food! There's guaranteed to be more food than you can shake a stick at. Speaking of sticks, you'll find vendors selling deep-fried bread pudding, chicken on a stick, shrimp on a stick, pizza on a stick, even cookie dough on a stick. Be sure to try them all!
Bonus! We said it was a Top 10 list, but here's one more reason why we love the State Fair of Louisiana: So much of the attractions and concerts are free with admission, making this a great place to take the family. Gates open daily at 10 a.m. and admission is free until 3 p.m. The fair is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.