Are you ready for a nonstop, finger lickin’, foot tappin’ good time? Then head to the State Fair of Louisiana in Shreveport where you can dance to zydeco, eat shrimp on a stick, and ride more than 60 carnival rides. From Oct. 25 to Nov. 11, 2018, the fairgrounds in Shreveport turn into a circus (literally) of excitement for the entire family. We can’t begin to list everything you can do at the fair, so we boiled it—like our seafood—down.
Top 10 List of Favorite Things To Do at the State Fair of Louisiana:
10. Dancing poodles. Yes, you read that correctly. During the daily Circus Hollywood shows, catch the Poodles of Paris, plus trapeze and high-wire acts and more.
9. Racing pigs. Cheer for your favorite friend and hope they are the swiftest swine during the Hollywood Racing Pigs.
8. Spirited competition. The State Fair of Louisiana State Cheerleading Championship is a dazzling experience for the family. This year’s event is held Saturday, Oct. 27.
7. A rowdy rodeo. The LRCA Finals Rodeo (Nov. 1-3) features real cowboys from throughout the state, with more than $140,000 in cash and prizes is up for grabs. Check out these feats of skill and strength, where men and women showcase lassoing skills and daredevil bull and bronco rides.
6. Two-wheeled acrobatics. For a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat good time, check out Johnny Rockett’s Cycle Circus Live’s performers as they perform gravity-defying tricks on motorcycles and BMX bikes. The Ball of Steel performance is not to be missed.
5. A ride of a lifetime. It's as if the Discovery Channel comes alive at the Double Hump Camel Show, featuring Mongolian Bactrian camels — and yes, you can ride them.
4. Live music from 30-plus bands. This year’s roster has a diverse roster of acts. Local and nationally touring acts are part of the lineup. Country, R&B, gospel, rock — there’s so much to hear, nearly every night of the fair.
3. Carnival rides! These rides make our stomach flip and make us squeal like the Vertigo and Drop Zone. But it's always nice to catch our breath on the Ferris wheel.
2. Sea Lion Splash Show. Meet some skilled sea lions at this fun, educational and free event, which is a favorite among animal-loving kids and adults alike. These oh-so-cute sea lions will wow you with their acrobatic feats, balancing balls, shooting hoops, performing handstands and winning over hearts.
1. Fair food! There's guaranteed to be more food than you can shake a stick at. Speaking of sticks, you'll find vendors selling deep-fried bread pudding, chicken on a stick, shrimp on a stick, pizza on a stick, and even cookie dough on a stick. Try them all.
Bonus! We said it was a Top 10 list, but here's one more reason why we love the State Fair of Louisiana: So much of the attractions and concerts are free with admission, making this a great place to take the family. Gates open daily at 10 a.m. and admission is free until 3 p.m. The fair is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.