Louisiana Food Lovers' Bucket List
This is just a sampling of the many iconic foods you'll have to try as you explore all five regions of Louisiana.
By LouisianaTravel.com Staff
- Po-boy: Louisiana sub sandwich made with crusty French bread. Try Darrell’s Special with jalapeno mayo at Darrell’s in Lake Charles.
- Soft-shell crab: Molted blue crab. At Juban’s in Baton Rouge, order the Hallelujah Crab – flash-fried and stuffed with seafood.
- Catfish: A Sportsman’s Paradise specialty. In Monroe, sample the Catfish DeSiard at Waterfront Grill.
- Meat pie: Fried pie filled with seasoned beef and pork. Lasyone’s Meat Pie Restaurant in Natchitoches has served them for more than 40 years.
- Cracklins: A Cajun snack of deep-fried pork fat with skin. Breaux Bridge locals get theirs from Goulas Grocery.
- Barbecued shrimp: Nothing barbecue about it, just delicious shrimp sautéed in butter and seasonings. Try it in New Orleans at Pascal’s Manale, where the dish was invented.
- Sazerac: A mix of rye whiskey, bitters and absinthe, this is New Orleans’ official cocktail. Sip it at the Sazerac Bar at The Roosevelt New Orleans hotel.
Interests: Culinary Trails