Fifty Ideas for Summer Fun
There's no shortage of ways to spend your summer vacation in Louisiana. Here are just a few ideas.
1. Eat a snoball.
2. Go crabbing in Cameron Parish.
3. Float down the Amite River with Tiki Tubing in Denham Springs.
4. Explore Hollywood South with the New Orleans Movie Tour.
5. Enjoy a 5-cent Coke at The Biedenharn Museum & Gardens in Monroe.
6. Play a round of golf on our Audubon Golf Trail.
7. Slip, slide and squeal at Blue Bayou Water Park in Baton Rouge.
8. Sip a mint julep at Oak Alley Plantation in Vacherie.
9. Pick blueberries.
10. Become a grill master at Viking Cooking School Outdoors, Baton Rouge.
11. Walk the beach at Grand Isle.
12. Take the kids to Sci-Port: Louisiana's Science Center in Shreveport.
13. Try the peach ice cream at the Louisiana Peach Festival in Ruston.
14. Visit a farmers market and eat a Creole tomato.
15. Pay tribute to the legacy of Louis Armstrong during the Satchmo SummerFest in New Orleans.
16. Camp out at a state park.
17. Stay at the Dansereau House, in Thibodaux, and rock on their veranda.
18. Shop the antiques shops and boutiques in Ponchatoula.
19. Bike along a Louisiana trail.
20. Chow down at the Delcambre Shrimp Festival.
21. Test your angling skills at a fishing rodeo.
22. Take in the cocktails, cuisine and culture of the Tales of the Cocktail festival in New Orleans.
23. Meet the "Ghost of the Castle" at the Old State Capitol in Baton Rouge.
24. Indulge with a gourmet ice pop at Shreveport's Geauxsicles.
25. Hang out with the animals at the Global Wildlife Center in Folsom.
26. Find out just how much watermelon you can eat at the Beauregard Watermelon Festival.
27. Paddle down a bayou.
28. Try your luck at a Louisiana casino.
29. Hear the music of New Orleans' Frenchmen Street.
30. Drool and drive along our Culinary Trails.
31. Find shells along the Creole Nature Trail.
32. Cool off while exploring the exhibits of the Capitol Park Museum in Baton Rouge.
33. Have Sunday brunch at Houmas House in Darrow.
34. Watch July Fourth fireworks.
35. Check into L'Auberge Casino Resort, Lake Charles, and head for the lazy river.
36. Order a slice of pie from Lea's Lunchroom in Lecompte.
37. Make plans for the Mystery Tour at St. Francisville's Myrtles Plantation, one of the country's most haunted homes.
38. Save money and savor meals during New Orleans' Restaurant Month.
39. Explore Acadian, Creole and Native American Cultures at Vermilionville Living History Museum in Lafayette.
40. Soar above the wetlands on a seaplane tour.
41. Hire a Louisiana charter boat captain for an inshore or offshore fishing adventure.
42. Celebrate Louisiana's folk music at the Natchitoches-NSU Folk Festival.
43. Honor the past, watch the 4-D Beyond All Boundaries and eat at the Sods Shop at The National WWII Museum in New Orleans.
44. Bird watch in Houma's rich habitat.
45. Sit in on a Cajun jam session at Savoy Music Center in Eunice.
46. See a show at the historic Strand Theatre in Shreveport.
47. Walk, cycle or gallop along Tammany Trace in St. Tammany Parish.
48. Hike in Kisatchie National Forest.
49. Step back in time at the West Baton Rouge Museum.
50. Chill out at the Audubon Cool Zoo in New Orleans.