Galatoire's Oysters Rockefeller Recipe
Oysters Rockefeller is a dish that was created in New Orleans at Antoine's restaurant. Oysters Rockefeller, so named for the richness of the sauce. They remain one of the great culinary creations of all time and the original recipe remains a closely-guarded Antoine's secret, however many restaurants like Galatoire's (established in 1905) serve their own version of this New Orleans classic.
January 2014's Recipe of the Month courtesy of Louisiana Kitchen and Culture Magazine.
Oysters Rockefeller Recipe Ingredients:
• ¾ cup chopped fennel (bulb only)
• ¼ cup chopped leeks (green and white parts)
• ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
• 2 green onions, finely chopped
• 1 rib celery, finely chopped
• ¼ cup ketchup
• 1½ cups chopped frozen spinach, cooked and drained
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ½ teaspoon white pepper
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon ground anise
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ cup Herbsaint liqueur*
• 1 cup melted butter
• ½ cup seasoned dried breadcrumbs
• 6 dozen oysters on the half shell
• 12 cups rock salt
• 12 lemon wedges for serving
Method of Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
In a food processor, combine fennel, leeks, parsley, scallions, celery, ketchup, spinach, salt, pepper, cayenne, thyme, anise, Worcestershire, and Herbsaint. Purée mixture thoroughly. Scrape into a large mixing bowl. Stir in butter and breadcrumbs; stir thoroughly.
Pour enough rock salt into 12 eight-inch cake pans to cover bottoms. Arrange six oysters in their half shells in each pan.
Fill a pastry bag with the Oysters Rockefeller sauce and pipe equal portions of sauce over each shell or use a large tablespoon to distribute sauce. Bake five minutes until sauce sets. Increase heat to broil; broil oysters until tops are bubbling, about three to four minutes. It may be necessary to bake the oysters in batches.
To serve, line each of six dinner plates with cloth napkins that have been folded into neat squares. Nestle pans of oysters into folded napkins. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve the Oysters Rockefeller immediately. Serves six.
* If Herbsaint is unavailable, Pernod may be substituted.