Cajun Jambalaya Recipe
Chef Patrick Mould cooks up a Cajun favorite: pork and smoked sausage jambalaya.
Chef Patrick Mould is an expert of Louisiana's Cajun and Creole Cuisine, and he's shared his knowledge through cookbooks, culinary classes and his show, "Cooking Up a Good Life." Here, he shares his recipe for one of the state's favorite one-pot meals: jambalaya.
Ingredients:1 lb. cubed pork 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning 1 tablespoon vegetable oil ½ lb. smoked sausage, sliced 1 cup chopped onion ½ cup chopped green bell pepper ½ cup chopped celery 1 tablespoon minced garlic 1 tablespoon dark roux ½ cup water 2 cups rice 3½ cup beef broth 2 bay leaves 1 teaspoon hot sauce ¼ cup chopped green onions 2 tablespoons minced parsley
1. Season pork with Cajun seasoning.
2. In a large sauce pot heat oil, stir in seasoned pork and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add smoked sausage and cook for additional 5 minutes.
3. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in roux and water, cover pot and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in rice and cook for 1 minute; add beef broth, bay leaves and hot sauce. Bring to boil, cover pot, and turn fire as low as it will go and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
5. Stir in green onions and parsley and serve.
Yields: 6 servings
Watch chef Mould cook jambalaya on our YouTube channel.