Butternut Squash and Tasso Bisque
Chef Patrick Mould shares his recipe for oven-roasted butternut squash and tasso bisque.
Chef Patrick Mould is an expert on Louisiana's Cajun and Creole cooking, and he shares his know-how through cookbooks, culinary tours and classes, and his show, "Cooking Up A Good Life." Here, he shares his recipe for a delicious squash and tasso bisque.
1 butternut squash, 2 lb. average 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons butter ½ cup minced tasso ½ cup chopped onion 2 cups chicken broth 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon hot sauce 1 cup heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Split butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds and discard. Coat squash with olive oil, place on sheet pan and roast in oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Scoop out squash pulp from shell and discard shell. Mash squash pulp until fluffy.
- Heat butter in a medium sauce pot, add tasso and onions and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add chicken broth, nutmeg, hot sauce and mashed squash. Lower fire and simmer for 30 minutes covered, whisking occasionally.
- Stir in cream and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
Yields: 4-6 servings
You can watch chef Mould creating this delicious bisque on our YouTube channel.