Are you ready for a nonstop, finger lickin’, foot tappin’ good time? Then head to the State Fair of Louisiana in Shreveport where you can dance to zydeco, eat shrimp on a stick, and ride more than 60 carnival rides. From Oct. 26 to Nov. 12, 2017, the fairgrounds in Shreveport turn into a circus (literally) of excitement for the entire family. We can’t begin to list everything you can do at the fair, so we boiled it—like our seafood—down.
Top 10 List of Favorite Things To Do at the State Fair of Louisiana:
10. Dancing poodles. Yes, you read that correctly. During the daily Circus Hollywood shows, catch the Poodles of Paris, plus trapeze and high-wire acts and more.
9. Racing ducks and pigs. Cheer for your favorite feathered friend in The Great American Duck Race, which is new this year, or see who'll be the swiftest swine among the Hollywood Racing Pigs.
8. Spirited competition. The State Fair of Louisiana State Cheerleading Championship is a dazzling experience for the family.
7. A rowdy rodeo. The LRCA Rodeo features real cowboys from throughout the state, and more than $140,000 in cash and prizes is up for grabs. Check out these feats of skill and strength, where men and women showcase lassoing skills and daredevil bull and bronco rides.
6. Monster trucks. The SPEED Motorsports Tour brings the big-wheel beasts to Hirsch Memorial Coliseum. Johnny Rockett’s Cycle Circus Live. For a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat good time, check out these performers as they perform gravity-defying tricks on motorcycles and BMX bikes. The Ball of Steel performance is not to be missed.
5. The Tiger Encounters Show. It's as if the Discovery Channel comes alive at this event featuring big cats. Animal lovers also shouldn't miss the daily livestock shows featuring pigs, cows, and even dwarf goats.
4. Live music from 30-plus bands. This year’s roster has a diverse roster of acts. Check out Southern Soul Weekend, the first weekend of the fair, and groups performing throughout the fest ranging from national acts to homegrown talent. Mark your calendar for Nov. 4, when fair favorite (and Louisiana native) Frank Foster performs country songs that have been bringing in the crowds for the past seven years.
3. Carnival rides! These rides make our stomach flip and make us squeel like the Vertigo and Drop Zone. But it's always nice to catch our breath on the Ferris wheel.
2. Pirate’s Parrot Show. Meet some beautiful birds at this fun, educational and free event, which is a favorite among animal-loving kids and adults alike. It’s easy to find — just look for the stage designed to resemble a pirate ship.
1. Fair food! There's guaranteed to be more food than you can shake a stick at. Speaking of sticks, you'll find vendors selling deep-fried bread pudding, chicken on a stick, shrimp on a stick, pizza on a stick, and even cookie dough on a stick. Try them all.
Bonus! We said it was a Top 10 list, but here's one more reason why we love the State Fair of Louisiana: So much of the attractions and concerts are free with admission, making this a great place to take the family. Gates open daily at 10 a.m. and admission is free until 3 p.m. The fair is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.